8 TB (1 stick) butter (we used Kerrygold garlic/herb flavor)
1/4 C coconut flour
1/4 C tapioca starch
1 C plain yogurt (or milk/milk substitute)
1 C water (or bone broth)
1 C grated cheddar Cheese
2 ts seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 pounds russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed, peeled and sliced thin
Au Gratin (OPTIONAL):
2 TB stick butter, melted
1 cups bread crumbs (I used left over Dough Delicious smashed thin and baked at 400 degrees until crispy to make crumbs)
1 teaspoons smoky paprika
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, add butter.
2. In a small bowl, whisk flours together and stir in the butter until pasty.
3. Add water and yogurt; stir to remove lumps and let cook for 6 minutes until it gets thick.
4. Lower heat and add the cheese, season salt, nutmeg and black pepper. Whisk until well combined and sauce thickens, approximately 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. If using the Au Grain topping: In a bowl, combine butter, bread crumbs and smoky paprika. Stir well.
6. Place potatoes into a casserole dish. Pour cheese over potatoes and sprinkle au gratin on top.
7. Wrap with foil or cover with large cookie sheet and bake in oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 10-15 minutes uncovered. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.