This is compilation of ingredients I’ve used to come up with the most healthy and tasty flat bread recipe you can use to make a crust for pizza or flat bread/pita for sandwiches and wraps. Great for when the family is craving a carb fix in the form of dough.
This came out so great that everyone had two! The lefties store great in an air tight container for up to a week… but trust me, they will not last that long.
* 1/2 cup Almond Meal/Flour
* 1/2 cup Arrowroot (or Tapioca) Starch
* 1 cup Organic Quinoa Flour
* 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
* 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
* 1 tsp Cinnamon (0ptional)
* 1-2 Tb Maple Syrup/Honey OR savoy spices like red pepper flakes, parsley, onion/garlic powder, etc. (optional)
* 1/2 cups Water
* 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
* 2 Tb Coconut Oil (or ghee, butter, I used olive oil)
1. Whisk quinoa flour with other dry ingredients and seasonings (if you are using this option)
2. Stir the oil into the water, add if dry mixture and check consistency; you want the dough moist but not sticky
3. Knead it a bit to blend it together and prepare it to roll into a ball (you may have to add a bit more flour or water; play with it until you find the right consistency)
4. Roll into a ball about the size of a lime (about 1.5 inches diameter, I used an ice cream scooper) and roll it around in your hands until it’s in a non-sticky form
5. Use additional flour to coat the rolling pin and the counter top and roll out into a flat circle about 1/8th inch thick; the edges will be uneven (at least mine are); the circle should be about 5-6” inches across
6. Put a tablespoon or so of oil in a small frying pan (I used a basting brush) and heat to moderate heat.
7. Place the dough circle in the frying pan and cook for a few minutes on each side; press it down with a spatula if you have to
8. Make sure each side is nicely browned and cooked fully; it will bubble up a little and look a bit dry and golden browned like a tortilla
This makes about 6 pieces of flat bread. I doubled everything and made a dozen. Top with your sweet toppings if you added the cinnamon and honey or with your meat and veggie if you created the salty version. Enjoy!